Chocolate Spoons – probably our favourite dessert EVER! You can make these out of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, or even mix them all together! It’s also our favourite because we can make it all by ourselves, including the white chocolate mousse! A great dessert to make for Valentine’s day!
The recipe as well as the picture is taken from mummy’s website, here’s the link for it Chocolate Spoons. Click on it if you want to go check out her other recipes too. Or better still, show them to your mum!
Let us know if you like this chocolate spoons recipe by leaving a comment down below!
- 200g chocolate
- 200 g good white chocolate, like Green and Black’s
- 150 ml double cream
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (you can use other flavours)
- silicone spoon mould
- 2 piping bags
- Break the chocolate into little pieces and place in a large microwaveable bowl. Add the cream.
- Heat at medium power for 2-3 minutes until melted. Stir to completely melt the chocolate.
- Add the vanilla or whatever flavouring you want. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl until stiff.
- Gently fold a couple of tablespoons of the egg white into the chocolate mixture to lighten it before folding in the rest, GENTLY. You don’t want to knock all the air out, this is to achieve that light texture synonymous with a good mousse.
- When done, place the mousse in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, to allow it to stiffen slightly so that you can pipe it onto the spoons and it will then hold its shape.
- Break the chocolate up into little pieces and place in a microwaveable bowl.
- Heat to melt and stir thoroughly.
- Let it cool for 1 minute, then place it in a piping bag attached with a small round nozzle or like I do, use a disposable bag and snip a little of the end off.
- Pipe into the mould, making sure that they’re thick enough not to break easily. Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Unmould them onto a presentation plate.
- Fill another piping bag with the mousse, snip the end of (just a small opening), and pipe the mousse onto the spoons as in pic. Feel free to decorate with tiny chocolate swirls or leave as is.
- Can be made up about 6 hours ahead and left in the fridge
- Chocolate spoons can be made days ahead and kept in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Mousse can be made 2 days ahead.
We always melt chocolate in the microwave and have never had a problem. The key is to adjust the power, especially with white chocolate as it burns easily. Ours is 1000 watts and we use it at 50% power to melt white chocolate, in 30 sec bursts. Dark chocolate, 80%, longer bursts.
If you don't have a chocolate spoon mould, you can always use very small cupcake cases. Pour the chocolate into the cases, then swirl the chocolate around as quickly as you can to create the cupcake case shape. Pour back any melted chocolate. When all of them are done place them in the fridge for 30 minutes, the same as the chocolate spoons.